Sunday 5 March 2017

Self care on Sundays, my plan for the week ahead



I can't remember when I first heard of the idea of self-care, I know I've been thinking about it for a few years now, and do my best to carve out small parts of my week where I can give myself a little breathing space in whatever way, space or form that might take.



I've spoken on the blog before about mental health, and love the fact that self-care focuses on improving or maintaining one's mental wellbeing. It's not going to be right for everyone, and 20 minutes of fresh air a day isn't going to help someone who's in crisis. But, caught at and thought of at the right time, it could help someone stay well, or even feel stronger. 

Each week I'm going to try to think about 7 self care activities I can put in place over the week ahead. Some things might pop up every week, others from time to time and others again could be a one off.



  1. Use my planner to plan my week as an overview, and my daily spread to do the detail.
  2. Find some time to crochet each day, even if only 15 minutes.
  3. Be grateful, whether that is expressed through prayer, or simply noting down what I'm grateful for in my journal I find that the intention behind being thankful and conscious of blessings both big and small is a really positive way of reminding myself of the good things.
  4. Fresh air - even when the weather is foul, try to get outside for a walk with my partner in crime for 20 minutes.
  5. Switch off - after 8pm get rid of the technology. It's so tempting to respond to every notification, but it's important that M and I get time together.
  6. Sunscreen. I have wildly sensitive skin, and rosacea so remembering to apply this every day will do me the world of good.
  7. Sing! I've recently discovered Encore radio - dedicated to musicals - and singing along to showtunes in the kitchen is pretty much guaranteed to make me smile.
That's my 7 for this week. Why not add yours in the comments below?

26 comments:

Lubka Henry said...

I also like to spend my sundays doing some light planning for the next week and giving myself time to relax, before it all starts again.

Kate | Veggie Desserts said...

It's crazy how taking care of ourselves often falls by the wayside. I love that you have your crochet time each day. So lovely .

Fiona @ London-Unattached said...

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your kitchen and hear you sing along to the musicals. You are right about switching off tech - I do think that is so much more important that we all realise

Unknown said...

Sundays are for relaxing and getting your head around the week to come. I'd love to spend more time on myself on a Saturday - bit of self care is definitely a necessity but sadly I end up sorting the house out, doing the ironing, all the chores etc - it's the only free day I have.

Sarah Bailey said...

Having a day dedicated to self-care is a lovely idea. Self-care is really so important to our wellbeing. I like to relax in a bath and do some planning for the week ahead. I do need to do better about switching off technology, that's a hard one.

Unknown said...

I always need a mental catch up afternoon on a Sunday. Chores done, food cooked, now it is time to plan. I'd simple meltdown if I didn't just stop for a second.

Unknown said...

I think this a great idea - we have recently been having Sunday Fundays with friends every week and whilst it's amazing fun, i start the week a tad jaded!

Anonymous said...

Such a good idea. I never switch my phone off but I NEED to!

Stephanie Merry said...

I love the idea of spending Sundays doing what makes you happy and spending time on yourself x

Samantha Donnelly said...

I have started to try to do this, it doesn't always work but is lovely when you can just switch off. I can never turn my phone off but I do seem to be able to put it down a lot more now.

Anna Nuttall said...

This is such a good idea. After all Sunday was always a rest day. So switch off your phone and chill out. xx

beautyqueenuk said...

I love this and I always try and find 15 mins to do something like read and so on x

Sarah said...

This is a great post! Making time for you, is so important. I've made the decision to stay offline for the majority of the daytime now. xx

Rachel said...

Spending time for yourself is some important! I need to try and switch off more! xo

rhian westbury said...

I'm very impressed that you switch off from technology at 8pm. I try to have one night a week when I don't have anything I have to do workwise and I can just relax, have a bath etc x

Harriet from Toby & Roo said...

You are so right - it is super important to really care for yourself and try to find a little time each day! H x

Unknown said...

I love your self care list!! Its so important to focus on yourself and have a self care routine/hobbie etc!!

theurbanrealist said...

I love the idea of self-care Sundays! I need to start doing this!

Ali - We Made This Life said...

What lovely ideas, we all need some self care. I find yoga works wonders to calm my mind.

WhatLauraLoves said...

I think taking time out away from social media is a great idea. Planning for the week ahead helps me to stay organised too! xxx

Unknown said...

Self care is so important. I need to take care of myself a bit more.

MaBelleVie said...

I do need to start taking more time out for myself. It's hard right now though

kiralcurtis said...

Taking time out of your day to do something you love really can make such a difference! I've been trying to learn guitar and it's nice knowing that finally after all these years I'm doing something I want to do!

Ana De-Jesus said...

Singing always makes me feel happier as well and its a great to add to your self-care routine x

Lubka Henry said...

It's so good to find time to unwind and relax, isn't it :)

John said...



Taking time out of your day to do something you love really can make such a difference! دانلود آهنگ جدید
I've been trying to learn guitar and it's nice knowing that finally after all these years I'm doing something I want to do!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye