Thursday 30 April 2009

Chocolate caramel shortcake


I know. It would seem I've finally run out of showtunes to link even somewhat tenuously to blog posts. I haven't allowed myself a Google, but this truly is a sad day. Hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly (when the current muscle spasm and resulting painkiller consumption has passed I expect).

Recently I was digging through my cookery book pile; Nigella at the top, Jamie below, Gordon untouched at the bottom of the heap. When I came across a Christmas present from my sister The Cookie and Biscuit Bible. I had a vague memory of a blogpost from someone else about chocolate caramel biscuits so rifled through the book looking for said recipe (link to original post here) Pleased to see that the recipe required a family sized bar of Cadbury's Caramel Dairy Milk, I was a happy bunny - perhaps the Caramel bunny. Anyone remember her?

Anyhow, the recipe requires you to make a shortbread type biscuit, which you use to encase, ravioli style, a square of caramel chocolate. When baked the result is a gooey, chocolatey centre in a buttery shortbread.
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread
from The Cookie and Biscuit Bible.
150g self raising-flour
90g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
50g caster sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large bar of caramel chocolate
Icing sugar and cocoa for dusting

Put the flour and butter into a food processor and process until you have fine crumbs.
Add the sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract and process to a smooth dough.
Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
Roll the dough out fairly thinly on a lightly floured surface and cut out rounds using a smallish biscuit cutter.
Place one chocolate square on each cookie round and then lay a second piece of cookie on top. Pinch the edges of the dough together to seal and enclose the caramel chocolate.
See, it really does look like ravioli!
Place on a baking sheet and put in the fridge while the oven heats up.
Bake at 200ÂșC for about 10-12 minutes until just turning golden.
Cool on a wire rack and then dust with icing sugar and cocoa powder.
These disappeared remarkably quickly and didn't even make it to work on Monday. What can I say? They were just there every time we had a cup of tea!
Next time: If I can steal the camera from my boyfriend - sushi, if not then outdoor cooking with the Guides. Anyone for dampers?

5 comments:

Jules said...

I adore making (& eating ;) ) these biscuits and am making them with my cookery club next week.

Yours look delicious. I'm a big fan of the cookie bible and there is very few recipes in there that haven't worked well for me.

Louise H said...

They look fab - I have to try them - it shouldn't be too hard to do a gluten free version :)

hungryandfrozen said...

Sadly the day comes to us all when there are no puns left for a title. Those biscuits look so good, I love caramel!

Penelope said...

It's a brilliant book Jules, and I swear I blinked and these had gone. I would make them for the office, but I'm not sure I like them enough!

Louise, if you can find Gluten free flour (and assuming chocolate is gf?) I think you should be good to go.

Laura, I know... I looked through my extensive collection of Broadway Cast recordings. Twice. And still nothing. Someone should record something for pun absences... I'm liking Shank Goodness btw!

Glamorous Beauty said...

They look great. I love to bake and this is a recipe I will have to try. I like chocolate caramel squares and this is a new way to eat them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye