Sunday 9 May 2010

Banana Shpeel


Sorry, it's a completely off-centre reference to a Cirque du Soleil show, but I wanted to maintain my good track record of musical references in post titles *is a girly swot*

I was searching through my previous posts and was astounded to find a lack of reference to Nigella's banana bread from Domestic Goddess. In my copy of DG this is one of those pages that's covered in sticky fingerprints, flour and quite possibly bits of banana. In my defence I never claimed to be the cleanest cook.

Last time I made this, I tried the variation and made a chocolate banana bread. I have a confession to make: I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the regular one. So this week I went back to my reliable tried and tested recipe.

INGREDIENTS

100g sultanas
75ml bourbon or dark rum
175g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
125g unsalted butter, melted
150g sugar
2 large eggs
4 small, very ripe bananas (about 300g weighed without skin), mashed
60g chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
23 x 13 x 7cm loaf tin, buttered and floured or with a paper insert

METHOD


1. Put the sultanas and rum or bourbon in a smallish saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Remove from the heat, cover and leave for an hour if you can, or until the sultanas have absorbed most of the liquid, then drain.
3. Preheat the oven to 170ÂșC/gas mark 3 and get started on the rest. Put the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt in a medium-sized bowl and, using your hands or
4. a wooden spoon, combine well. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the mashed bananas. Then, with your wooden spoon, stir in the walnuts, drained sultanas and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture, a third at a time, stirring well after each bit. Scrape into the loaf tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 1–11/4 hours. When it’s ready, an inserted toothpick or fine skewer should come out cleanish. Leave in the tin on a rack to cool, and eat thickly or thinly sliced, as you prefer.

Variation

Replace 25g of the flour with good cocoa powder and add 100g of dark chocolate, cut up into smallish chunks.

This is such an easy cake to make, and it goes down a treat with everyone I've ever offered it to. Honestly, I can now make it in about 20 minutes and then once it's in the oven you can do what you like. It always bakes with quite a dark top, but it's just the colour it goes. Great for elevenses with a cup of tea.

2 comments:

Jules said...

I love this recipe and like you is probably the most food splattered page in the book (along with the brownie page!)

Penelope said...

It's brilliant isn't it. Every time I make it I can't get over how easy it is and how popular too. I haven't tried her brownies yet - I know, it's practically heresey to say that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye