See the pretty picture, I am teaching myself how to do fancier things on the computer. Today this included downloading Picasa and using it to make a collage. Get me!
The pictures are of a lovely evening last week I spent as a guest of Leith's and Asda for the launch of the summer's Extra Special collection. I was astounded to see that it included samphire, which as the grandaughter/ neice of fishmongers I felt terrible admitting I had never tried. I really liked it, salty and cooked briefly so it retained a bite it was the perfect foil to a lightly boiled egg and some asparagus. A terrific starter, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed making with some other foodie bloggers.
We also made soda bread which was lighter than I usually make, the difference being butter, half and half white and brown flour and some sugar. So definitely a few changes to try there.
However, my all out favourite dish of the evening has to be the strawberry tarts, incredibly light ready-made pastry tart cases, smothered in a lightly sweetened, beaten vanilla cream and topped with strawberries and a warmed jam glaze. I had the luck to take a couple of extras home and they were as fabulous with a cup of tea as they were as a dessert.
It was a lovely evening, with terrific company, so thank you Asda, Leith's and all the other ladies who attended.
Asda have very kindly offered a hamper of goodies for one of my followers. All contents are Asda Extra Special and approved by the chefs at Leiths.
Extra Special all butter pastry cases
Extra Special artisan flat breads
Extra Special plain chocolate
Extra Special mini meringues
Extra Special strawberry conserve
Extra Special Spanish orange blossom honey
Extra Special Italian pesto alla Genovese
Extra Special Aceto Balsamico di Modena
Extra Special all Butter parmesan and garlic mini twists
Extra Special garlic dipping oil
Extra Special apricot crumbles
Extra Special Italian conchiglioni
Extra Special spiced plum and ginger marinade
Extra Special stem ginger chocolate biscuits
Extra Special Belgian milk chocolate and pecan popcorn clusters
Extra Special black pepper ciabatta croutons
ES Semillon Sauvignon Blanc
ES Chianti Classico Reserva
*Asda reserve the right to change items in the hamper to ones of a similar value
- Complete the Rafflecopter form below to confirm your entries made by commenting on the blog, tweets or Facebook
- The competition is set to run until 27th April
- Check the Rules below *Guider hat on* I will check to make sure that you've done what I've asked
- The winner will be announced via the Rafflecopter widget
How does Rafflecopter work? (short video link)
- Can you not see the Widget? Press F5 to refresh your page
- Complete the form, or I can't see any entries you make
- Make sure you leave a blog comment, and follow Penelope's Pantry as they are the Mandatory ways to enter
Good Luck and fingers crossed!
- This competition is only open to UK Mainland residents
- You need to be 18 or over to enter
- Read all the instructions above - they are part of these terms and conditions
- I will check all entries, I am a Guider please don't try and pull a fast one. If you cheat I will disqualify all your entries
- This is being hosted on behalf of Asda who are responsible for sending out the prize - to do this you will need to confirm your contact details
- The decision about who wins is final. No discussion will be entered into
- There is no cash alternative to the prize
- As mentioned above, the prize is offered in good faith but equal or similar value substitutions may be made by Asda if items are unavailable.
- Winners are picked by Rafflecopter, who use random.org to generate that information
- If you don't claim your prize within 7 days another winner will be chosen.
a Rafflecopter giveaway