Saturday 1 February 2014

Souper soup on Saturdays

This week's soup was a revelation - and that's not entirely an understatement. Faced with either leek and potato or a combination of sweet potato and butternut squash, I keenly went for the latter. Leek and potato just never excites me, it's not something I'd choose or buy and may be something I need to get my head around. Especially while leeks are cheap.

I had a squiz around those interwebs for a recipe for sweet potato and butternut squash as all my ideas involved a heavy kick of chilli and ginger and this was to be in part for M's parents who aren't really chilli fans. One recipe stood out as either going to be a raging success or an utter diaster and clearly beset by the type of confidence that I can't normally muster up I went for it. Helped in part by the fact that the original recipe didn't require the butternut squash to be peeled.

We have one of those internets that works perfectly in 90% of the house, but blankly refuses to in the kitchen, as such - this was my take on the recipe I found.

Sweet potato and butternut squash soup

Half a butternut squash, chopped up into chunks about 2 - 3 inches square (or as square as a butternut squash will allow)
 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped up into biggish peices
Half teaspoon cinammon
Half teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 litre of veg stock (I used a cube)
Half a cup of marsala wine

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
Prep your veggies - and the best news - don't peel the squash (at this point I did do a little dance as I hate peeling butternut squash with a passion). Toss in the olive oil, cinammon and nutmeg. Roast in the hot oven until they've soft enough to squash easily
Pop the now soft veggies in a big saucepan, and add half the stock. Blitz with a hand blender until you get a nice thick puree. Add the rest of the stock, bring to a gentle boil and add the marsala
Allow to simmer gently for a few minutes, then serve with wholemeal bread and butter.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye