Friday 31 October 2014

Fancy s'more cake?




It feels like forever since I actually blogged about cake - which is ridiculous as it's essentially what I set this blog up to do. Mind you, times have changed quite considerably since those days in our old flat and the baby takes up a lot of my cake baking time. Takes it up beautifully however.

Back in July in was M's birthday. Happens every year. Every year something comes up that stops me making him a cake on time. You'd think the same happened this year - Harry was a month old, we were 2 weeks out of NICU, and yet somehow I managed to make his cake. Go me. Also, go sleep deprivation.

Inspired by s'mores, one of our favourite things, this chocolate cake with marshmallow frosting was a quick bake. I actually used (in the name of experimentation) coconut oil in the place of butter as we'd run out. I feel like I should say, in response to all those posts on Pinterest that say 'you can't taste the difference' you can totally taste the coconut. Or at least I can.


S'mores cake

3oz self raising flour
1oz cocoa powder
4oz butter (or coconut oil)
4oz caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the frosting

4oz marshmallows
2tbsp milk
2 egg whites
1oz caster sugar

Beat butter & sugar until light and fluffy
Seive flour and cocoa powder together
Add vanilla extract and eggs slowly to mix. Add a spoonful of flour with each egg
Fold in the rest of the flour/ cocoa
Divide mixture equally between 2 greased and lined 6 inch sandwich tins (I used 8 inch and ended up with a rather flat cake)
Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 - 30 minutes
Cool on a wire rack

Frosting

Melt the marshallows and milk together in a pan over a low heat
Leave to cool
Beat the egg whites and sugar until you get to stiff peaks
Fold the egg whites into the marshmallow and leave to set

Split the frosting between filling the centre of the cake, and using a pallette knife smooth over the sides and top

Decorate the top as you wish - I used sparkly silver stars

Also, isn't my new cake plate beautiful? I'm completely in an Emma Bridgewater phase and this is personalised for our wedding - see



If you've liked this post and would like to read more of my baking adventures - interspersed with new baby posts and meal plans. Then please look to your right and follow me on Bloglovin, Facebook Twitter Pinterest or Instagram

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye