Friday 30 October 2015

Spiced root vegetable soup: dairy free, vegan, syn free




Soup is one of my favourite things to eat for lunch, and this is no exception - warming, packed full of healthy veggies with a fantastic kick of spices. It really is the perfect autumn lunch, and Harry loved it too. The other wonderful thing about this soup is just how thrifty it is. If you're going to have some leftover pumpkin knocking around this weekend or next week, it'd be ideal in here.

I'm having a real on-plan week with Slimming World - I have a very stubborn 2.5lb that I'd like to shift so this is a fantastic syn free lunch with lots of lovely speedy veggies in too.

For other baby led weaners, soup isn't a natural go-to, certainly for me it feels a lot like a puree, but Harry loves it - spoons are a bit wayward, so it worked beautifully with some slices of our current favourite dairy and soya free bread (Waitrose Essentials)

If you're not dairy free this would be a perfect lunch with a cheese and ham toastie. Harry had his bowl with bread for dunking and I had mine as it came. This would be amazing with some warm soda bread




print recipe

Spiced Root Vegetable Soup
Dairy free, egg free, soya free, vegan
Ingredients
  • 2 cloves Garlic
  • 2 Parsnips
  • 3-4 medium Carrots
  • ½ Swede
  • 2 Sweet potatoes
  • 1l Vegetable Stock
  • 1l Water
  • 1tblsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 Red Chilli
  • ½ tsp Ground Coriander
  • Pepper
Instructions
1. Pop the peeled and rougly chopped veggies in a large pan and cover with the stock and water 2. Add the garlic, spices, salt(if this isn't going to be eaten by babies) and pepper 3. Bring to the boil and turn the heat down before simmering until the veggies are lovely and soft 4. Puree with a stick blender until as smooth or lumpy as you like
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 bowls (grown up portions)



This keeps beautifully in the fridge so I make a batch at the start of the week and then we have it until it runs out. I say we - I'm a lot more keen on leftovers than Harry who hasn't quite come around to eating the same thing for a couple of days. 

If you like this bowl of comforting vegetable goodness, why not try these other super soups


  • Squash, sweet potato and coconut Autumn soup from Munchies and munchkins looks like a fantastic option if you have leftover (Teal) pumpkin next week
  • I love the sound of this Parsnip, ginger and chickpea soup from Rough measures- although I swear M and Harry are going to despair of me if I add chickpeas to anything else! 
  • I love lentils, and am intrigued by this Spiced Lentil, Carrot and roasted tomato soup that includes chocolate from Tin and Thyme
  • The colour of this Beetroot and vegetable soup from Utterly Scrummy Food for Families is absolutely stunning, and makes me wish I hadn't finished ours from the veg patch all up - I shall have to pop up to Barnet market so I can give this one a try (although Harry's bib will never be the same again I suspect!) 
  • This Thai Butternut squash soup from Celery and cupcakes sounds lovely - and so easy using a pre-prepared curry paste. Although I'll be double checking the ingredients in it just in case there's soy sauce.
  • Harry loves peas so this Broccoli and pea soup from Eats amazing would be a great one to try (I suspect it won't be as much of a hit with M) 
  • This Vegan leek and potato soup from Planet Veggie looks great - I've used cashews this week to make a 'cheese' sauce for pasta but hadn't thought of using them to make a soup creamy. 
  • This gorgeous looking and sounding Porcini and sherry soup from The Veg space (I love sherry) is definitely going on the to make list for the grown ups! 

I'm entering this into this month's No Croutons required challenge from Tinned Tomatoes


I'm also adding this to A Mummy too's Recipe of the week



Link up your recipe of the week

9 comments:

Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours said...

I love a good silky smooth root veggie soup. Perfect for this time of year.

Cathy @ Planet Veggie said...

I love the sound of this - just my kind of soup!

Kate | The Veg Space said...

Oooh, comfort food - that looks so lovely, perfect for a crisp autumn day. Thanks for linking to my Porcini & Sherry Soup too!

Munchies and Munchkins said...

Thanks for including my soup. Its definitely soup season..I'm working on a leek and potato one at the mo. Your root veg soup sounds and looks delicious.x

Petra / Be Healthy Now said...

Sounds like a great soup, definitely gives me an idea what to do with parsnips which I never buy! I will be definitely trying this one weekend, thanks!
#recipeoftheweek

Grace @ Eats Amazing said...

This soup looks delicious! I love the sound of that combination of veg, this week I'm planning on stocking up my freezer with soup portions so I'll add this to the list!

Jo of Jo's Kitchen said...

This looks delicious and very tasty indeed! Thank you for linking up to #SuperSoup

Jamyang Thubten said...

I've run out of parsnips this season and won't be able to get anymore until next winter (they don't grow or sell them here in Italy so I have to grow my own). But I have bookmarked this recipe for next winter. 10 months to dream about it ...

Jamyang Thubten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye