Tuesday 4 February 2014

Making your food go further - roast chicken 3 ways



This was our fabulous roast dinner on Sunday, free range chicken, crispy skin, eaten with roasties, stuffing, veggies and gravy. But what do you do after that first lovely meal?



For me, one of the best parts of a roast is the leftovers, and working out what to do with them. I'm clearly my mother's daughter in that the first night of leftovers always feature an oven baked potato, more veggies and pickles if we have them (I love pickles - throw me the cornichons and pickled onions and I'm a happy camper). I often tart the potatoes up, by after an hour in the oven, splitting them in half, scooping out the middle and mixing it up with boursin and a splash of milk before putting the filling back into the crispy skins and topping with some finely chopped leeks and cheddar. Another 20 minutes in the oven and you have fabulously yummy middles and my favourites the crispy skin and leeks.


Then we have the dilemma - I've probably at this stage got enough chicken left on the carcass for 4 more portions of a meal. Over the years I've come up with a few options for what to do at this stage, mostly developed with the unashamed aim of saving money and making my food go further.

M's favourite is my chicken and mushroom risotto although he and I have a soft spot for my chicken and sweet leek pie

With some judicious freezing, both of those recipes mean another 4 portions. If I'm feeling particularly on the ball I sometimes extend that even further by turning the carcass into stock and the stock straight into soup.

What are your favourite ways to make your food go further?

With thanks to Sainsbury's for the voucher that went towards our roast dinner.   

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye