Wednesday 10 September 2008

You've been Galindafied...



Elphaba: [downstage centre, practicing alone] Toss Toss [flicks hair] Toss Toss
Fiyero: [slightly upstage watching her. Moves downstage, grinning] You've been Galindafied! [...A beat... He mimics Galinda] Toss Toss! [Another beat. Sincerely] You really don't have to do that you know.

OK, so out of context it doesn't quite work - but if you know your musical theatre in general, and Wicked to be specific you'll know what I'm on about. If you don't. Go. Now. If you're in London to the Apollo Victoria, if you're elsewhere - investigate it! This weeked I did some Galindafying of my own. To pasta, not a person. And it didn't involve tossing. I'm not explaining this well am I? Galindafying, means to pretty something up, normally to make it popular, pink and sparkly. The end result being that one can hang with the right cohorts, be good at sports, and know all one needs to know to be popular a la Helen Dallimore or even Kristen Chenoweth (look them up if you don't know, you will be tested later)True story! Only I did it to pasta, just the prettying up however, I don't imagine that the ravioli is flirting with the fennel it's next to in the freezer.
Following the epic trip to Borough, we had decided that after a suitable rest and pot (or two) of tea, we would cook up a storm. One of us being somewhat cheffily disposed, the other more of a chuck it all in and hope for the best (that's me by the way, in case you were wondering) we figured that between the two of us we should be able to invent something without the aid of recipe books and merely with the ingredients we had purchased that very morning - there was method in some of the madness of our Borough shopping.
In actual fact, between us we managed to knock up a veritable feast, including the Galinda pink pasta! Which was actually, beetroot and goats cheese ravioli; sweet with enough of a bite from the goats cheese to not be overpowering. We also made pappardelle with a wild mushroom sauce, along with a fennel salad, and an amahzing dish of roasted figs with heather honey and creme fraiche (guess who was responsible for that one). I say we, seeing as the figs took around 45 seconds to prepare (my sort of dish!) I sort of hung around passing things helpfully, wiping mushroom and taking a highly overkeen interest in onions. I'm sensing a future as a Commis chef *sigh* At least I got an apron though!
Succeses of the day: Your author can now make pasta (see picture above), and chop onions like a real chef! I've even taken to making things with onions in just to demonstrate to the cats how good I am. Also figs can just be thrown in the oven and left for oooh hours before they spoil. Also Ratatouille is an epic film. Watch it. Anyone can cook. Never a truer word spoken.
This week the salty green sludge has been finished (thank the Lord, and don't mention the rest that's in the freezer, I'm going to try to deny it's existence until such time as I am so hungry to not care). Bread has not been made as the local supermarkets have taken to lying about their abilities to provide yeast. I am not happy about this at all. Note to supermarket bakery departments: You CAN give out fresh yeast to customers who request it. You CANNOT sell it to them however. For the love of God please read and inwardly digest before I completely lose my rag and start writing complaint letters. Lots of them. /endrant]
However, we can confirm that the seasons have definitely changed as the first batch of lifechanging soup was made tonight (although there has been a small, cream based hiccup with that; but I blame the meds, and being overtired). Speaking of which it's time for me to sign off. There are a few more piccies to add to this post, but they're on my phone as my camera was cleverly left at home at the weekend and I've not worked out how to move them from phone to computer. Yet. I'll add them as soon as I do just so you can see the Galinda pinkness of the ravioli.

2 comments:

hungryandfrozen said...

Hee, LOVE the Wicked quotes. "Toss Toss" always makes me giggle. The combo of beetroot and goats cheese sounds amazing, and YUM roasted figs...and how great is homemade pasta. Completely owns any other kind.

Sorry to hear about the snooty supermarket bakeries not providing yeast!

The first thing I'm going to do when I get to London is see Wicked. I'm loving Alexia Khadime, even though she'll probably be long gone by the time I ever get there!

Anonymous said...

I admire your bravery, I am scared stiff of pastry! Looking forward t hearing how it goes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye