Saturday 18 June 2011

Ripe! Gooseberries ripe! No wait that's not right... More jam basically


It's been said, more than once that I have a tendency towards obsessiveness, some things have to be 'just so' others are seen, done, experienced over and over until I either get it out of my system, or move on. I'm like that with many things, *cough*Musicals*cough* as well as food. At the moment, as a result of my new found confidence I'm all about the jam. Throw me a packet of sugar and some fruit, and I'll make it work. Which was exactly the position I found myself in on Tuesday night. Exempt from Guides owing to the med changes leaving me decidedly queasy, clearly the natural thing to do is to cook. Oh and tweet whilst doing so. I am woman, watch me multitask.

I had in my fridge a punnet of the Riverford gooseberries, a fruit which I am not too fond of as I just find them too tart. I also had some once lovely, now slightly soft Granny Smith apples lurking at the bottom of the fruit bowl. Having tweeted for suggestions, and discarded all of them - sorry folks - but I think my heart was already set on jam. I googled for some recipes. Ignored those, and just went on proportions. Yes folks I'm living life on the edge here in North London. I invented a jam recipe. Of my own. By myself. Surely I deserve a badge? Guiding folks, did there used to be a jam maker badge? Please say there did!


So, this is roughly how my recipe went - and I halved the amount I have made both for marmalade and strawberry jam as a) I wasn't sure I had enough jars and b) I don't have a decent preserving pan, just a bog standard thing from Ikeas basic range. Which I have to say, did the job beautifully, although I didn't dare stop stirring the molten sugar and fruit for one second. Thank God I can touch type is all I can say.

Gooseberry and apple jam

500g fruit - roughly half and half apples and gooseberries. I peeled cored and finely diced the apples, and just topped and tailed the gooseberries.
225ml water
650g sugar (again, I'm just using regular sugar, not preserving sugar)

Put a saucer in the fridge
Wash out some jars in hot soapy water, rinse and dry and put in a low oven to sterilise

Top and tail the gooseberries and put them in a large pan with the water. I know I've talked about using Lakeland's preserving pan previously, but I just used the Ikea 365 stockpot for this, and it was fine, no spitting or catching.

Bring to a rolling boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Add the sugar and let it dissolve over a low heat, whilst stirring constantly. I found that the sugar dissolved quicker in this recipe than in the strawberry jam or marmalade - but again that could just be down to the nature of the fruit.

Boil rapidly for about 10 minutes until setting point is reached. Do the wrinkle test, using the cold saucer, if the jam hasn't set then put it back on the heat and boil for another 5 minutes. My batch needed the extra 5 minutes.

Pour into sterilised jars. When cool put the lids on, and label up. More jam! For your jam cupboard!

I talked to Mark's mum about this - Mark's mum being the authority on all things jam related, and she reckons that this would go well with cold meats or cheeses as well as a traditional jam.

7 comments:

Seren said...

Jam making (a bit like bread making) is something I've never really tried - but your recent posts have inspired me. I love the idea of gooseberry and apple - I'm thinking it would be fantastic with pork. Thanks for the recipe!
Sx

anonymous said...

Amazing post! I think we should to have interest in this work and share our ideas for those who are searching this stuff and I'm here to give best essay services where you can find an affordable task. Keep it up!

Karl N. Wilson said...

You may be surprised to know that these amazing qualities are all attributed to buy TikTok fans. It has been scientifically proven that these characteristics are the results of the earth spirit using the Earth source energy to be healed of whatever ailment he or she has.

Karl N. Wilson said...

As you learn how to buy tiktok followers uk, you will be amazed at how well you will feel about yourself and what your life will be like. You will finally be able to start living the life you have always wanted and take back control of your life.

buy tiktok likes uk said...

Finally, make sure that the price you're paying is not deceptive. Just like buying flowers online from an unknown seller with short time for negotiation, buy tiktok likes uk from sellers with short time for payment isn't necessarily a good idea. There is always some element of doubt as to whether or not the price will be paid back at some point. By being upfront about the time you'll need payment for your product, the seller can avoid this concern. Be aware that there are many sellers who use packages prices as their primary selling strategy, but there are also plenty of others who only change the package prices when they decide to offer a discount or when they've received favorable customer feedback.

Go Read said...

buy Instagram followers Australia can be a very beneficial decision for your business. Not only will this help you build an audience quickly and get more leads, but it can also help you generate more views, likes, and shares on your posts. Additionally, buy real Instagram followers can help you attract more sponsorships and make more money from your posts.

Go Read said...

Do you want to be a successful Instagrammer? If so, then you need to know Instagram followers Australia. And if you’re like most people, then you probably don’t have the time or resources to do it on your own. That’s where the help of a social media marketing agency can come in. With years of experience in getting people following your brand on Instagram, our agency can help you increase your follower count and buy Instagram followers , shares, at low cost!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye