Tuesday 6 November 2012

Snicker-pumpkin-doodle Blondies



Following the success of the Snickerdoodle blondies, and the Pumpkin and apple traybake I wanted to see if I could combine the best of both, and make a pumpkin based blondie, with a similar flavour combination to the blondies. 

I woke up today with that in mind, and spent the first hour or so this morning drinking tea and scribbling notes from other recipes to help with this. I was worried the recipe I ended up making would be too damp, not blondie-ish enough because of the wetness of the pumpkin, so I ended up cooking it for just that bit longer, to relative success. I say this having just taste tested the final result alongside a cup of tea.

Snicker-pumpkin-doodle Blondies

250g unsalted butter
125g white, granulated sugar
175g dark, soft brown sugar
1 large egg
2tsps vanilla extract
250g pumpkin puree
500g flour
1 tbsp sweet mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

For the topping

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cake spice

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
Grease a small roasting tin (mine's about 30cm by 23cm)
Beat the butter and sugar together until it's light and fluffy
Add the egg & vanilla and beat in until combined (add a tbsp of flour if you are worried about curdling)
Beat in the pumpkin puree
Fold in the flour, baking powder, salt and sweet mixed spice

When it's all combined tip into the roasting tin and spread out evenly

Combine the sugar and spice in a little bowl/ cup and sprinkle liberally over the top of the cake mix

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
Cool in the in and cut into 24 squares - well you could do bigger easily! 

The pumpkin makes these slightly denser than the original snickerdoodle blondies, but the flavours work really well together and I have to say they're the perfect accompaniment to a cup of strong tea. 

If you, like me, went a bit loony for the pumpkin puree, these make for a lovely, autumnal cake that works in packed lunches and at any other point you may need some cake. If this carries on I swear I'm going to rename this blog Penelope's pumpkin puree. I do have an idea for a sweetened pumpkin bread knocking around... so yes, maybe I should rename! 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye