Friday 14 June 2013

Fish on Friday - smoked haddock fishcakes

Whenever M is away I take the opportunity to eat things he doesn't like - fish, peas, lamb... Of those the one I miss the most from our normal weekly meal plans is fish. A lot of the time, I cook smoked haddock like this but today fancied something different. 

My sister actually inspired this as I'm sure she mentioned making fishcakes for my nephew. I knew that I had some reduced smoked haddock sat waiting for inspiration in the freezer and as M is away tonight I thought I'd have a bash. I deliberately put this together out of things I had in the cupboard as I'm still spring cleaning so didn't want any new bottles of jars lingering around the flat. 

That said, I should just say that is it me or has smoked fish got even saltier than it used to be of late? I poached some smoked cod the other week and it was so salty it was inedible, and this was on the edge of being too salty. 

Storecupboard Smoked haddock fishcakes

500g (or therabouts) of smoked haddock, skinned and chopped into bite size peices
2 tsps cornflour
2 tbsps horseradish sauce
2 tbsps milk
Liberal amount ground black pepper
Zest of a lemon
4 tbsps polenta
Oil for frying

Put your smoked haddock in a biggish bowl and add the other ingredients
Use a hand blender (the type you use to bend soup - a stick blender maybe?) to mash it all up into a thick paste
Make your fishcakes up - I found that this quantity makes 6 grown up size ones, 2 each would be a good portion. You could halve the size if making them for children
Put on a plate and chill in the fridge for at least half an hour
Measure out the polenta onto a side plate
On taking the fishcakes out of the fridge, roll the cakes in the polenta, just gently so that it sticks.
Heat up a frying pan and cook the fishcakes for 5 minutes on each side so that they're cooked through

Serve with green veggies and potato wedges too if you fancy it

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye