Wednesday 12 June 2013

Fancy s'more tiffin?



No really, s'more tiffin.

I love S'mores - I could write an ode to them right now, but will save you from any shocking attempts at poetry and merely say that as far as I am concerned they win.

Sadly however I can't always summon up a fire at the opportune moment when s'mores are in demand. I know - it's very remiss of me. As such I put together a tiffin recipe for those moments when nothing else but the pairing of digestives, chocolate and smooshy marshmallow will do. 

At Easter M and I made Jules' Mini egg tiffin for his parents, and this recipe is based around those quantities. 

S'more tiffin
85g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
100g milk chocolate, melted in a bain marie or the microwave
170g digestives, crushed - I use a sandwich bag, rolling pin and any lingering agression
230g marshmallows - Either get 50g of mini ones, or chop about 50g up small
Melt the butter and syrup in a saucepan and add the digestives and melted chocolate
Pour half of this into a 2lb loaf tin lined with cling film. Press down
Melt 200g or so of marshmallows (I use the same pan because I hate washing up) and pour/ spoon this on top of the first layer of digestives
Pour the other half of the digestive mixture on top
Sprinkle the top with the chopped up marshmallows and gently press them into the top layer - you really don't need too many
Pop in the fridge until it hardens up (overnight is usually plenty of time) 
Those are fairly loose measurements - if you can get 170g bags of marshmallows, buy those - it'll be fine. Don't worry about weighing out the ones to chop up small, just take a couple of handfuls. As always basics chocolate and digestives are perfect. If you have Guides with faith based dietary restrictions or who are veggies you'll probably want veggie marshmallows. I've bought them from eBay in the past, but our local sweetshop now has kosher and vegetarian varieties. 
In terms of doing this in unit cooking - I would make this in fairy cake tins with cake cases for the Guides or Brownies.  When I say I would make it - either group could happily manage this, especially if we used the microwave to melt the chocolate. The smaller size should mean that if we started straightaway they would be take home-able (it's a word) by the end of the meeting.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye