Wednesday 21 October 2015

Baked cinnamon sugar donut muffins: Dairy free






Do you know what I mean when I say Seaside donuts - the ones that smell amazing? This is my recreation of those - but baked rather than fried. Dairy free, baked cinnamon sugar donuts. Whilst not exactly what they're modelled on, they're incredibly similar in taste and texture to those you get at the seaside.

When you're on an exclusion diet of any description you get cravings. As I've mentioned previously for me it's mainly, somewhat unexpectedly cheese related. However sometimes it's something sweet - and today's post stems from going past a stall that sells fresh donuts and having one of those almost visceral reactions to the smell. On returning home I have pored over Pinterest, my cookbooks and scribbled recipes only to end up frustrated at the lack of dairy and soya free options. So I worked one up myself using coconut yoghurt and Oatly cream to replicate the tender crumb that using soured cream gives bakes of this type.

Cinnamon for me is an undeniably autumnal spice - there's something about it that just goes hand-in-hand with Halloween and Bonfire night. I have a little bit of the cinnamon sugar I use at the end of this recipe left and I can heartily advocate it sprinkled liberally and naughtily on your morning porridge.




print recipe

Baked cinnamon sugar Donut Muffins
A dairy free, baked treat, based on those you get at the seaside
Ingredients
  • 2 cups Plain flour
  • 1Tblsp Baking powder
  • ½tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
  • ½tsp Salt
  • 3tsp Ground cinnamon
  • 125ml Vanilla coconut youghurt
  • 125ml Oatly creamy oat
  • 2 Eggs
  • ⅔ cup Soft brown sugar
  • 1tsp Vanilla extract
  • 70g Dairy Free Spread
  • ½ cup Caster sugar
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 170ÂșC 2. Line a cupcake or muffin tray with 15 liners 3. Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and 2tsp cinnamon into a large bowl 4. In a separate bowl, whisk the yoghurt, Oatly cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla 5. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined 6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared liners (I found my 1/8 cup measure worked really nicely and evenly) 7. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes 8. In the last 5 minutes of baking, melt 125g of Pure/ Vitalite and pour into a small bowl/ large cup 9. In another small bowl/ cup thoroughly combine the caster sugar and 1tsp cinnamon 10. When cool enough to hold, but warm enough to handle comfortably dip the top of each muffin into the melted dairy free spread (count to 5) and then dip this into the sugar mixture making sure you roll it gently so that it's well coated 11. Repeat this for each muffin
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 15 muffins


These will keep for a day or so in an airtight tin, but honestly much like the donuts they're modelled on they're best eaten very fresh, if not warm.

I'm currently contemplating adding a teaspoonful of jam to the middle of these before baking. Part of me thinks too much. Part of me thinks... hell no!

I'm adding these to Recipe of the week over at A Mummy Too
Link up your recipe of the week





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about the seaside donuts! That freshly cooked smell of sweetness! These sound delicious, I'm transitioning to vegan so will be bookmarking this recipe :)

Nadia's Healthy Kitchen said...

Sounds delicious! I've always found doughnuts to heavy for me but love the way they taste so making a lighter, baked version sounds perfect! :D

Unknown said...

I love donuts - even more so when they are baked.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye