Friday 2 October 2015

Syrup Sponge pudding in a flash revisited: dairy free recipe



Syrup sponge pudding is one of my favourite things to eat on a Sunday night in the Autumn & Winter - so of course I had to try and make it dairy free. The post I wrote a couple of years back on how to make it in a tiny kitchen using the microwave is still incredibly popular, ticking away in the background. This weekend however, ahead of a return to Slimming World I decided I needed to make it dairy free. 

I don't know about other CMPA mummies and families but proper puddings are one of the things I miss. Last week at River Cottage everyone went to great lengths to accommodate my dietary restrictions and I had a lovely sorbet with my meringue, and the cutest little chocolate puddles so didn't feel like I missed out at all, but usually I'm not so lucky. 

Dairy free syrup sponge pudding - dairy free, soya free
Serves 4

2oz Vitalite (or Pure spread)
2oz caster sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
2oz self raising flour - remove 2 tablespoons
2 tablespoons Birds custard powder
3-4 tablespoons Oatly cream
2 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons Golden syrup

Heavily grease a small pudding basin
In a mixing bowl, beat the Vitalite and caster sugar until light and fluffy
Beat in the egg, vanilla and custard powder
Fold in the flour
Mix in the Oatly cream until you have a soft dropping consistency
Pour the Golden syrup into the greased pudding basin and top with the sponge mixture
Put 2 tablespoons of water on to of the cake mix and cover the basin with cling film
Cook on high in the microwave for 4 minutes (we have an 800 watt microwave)

Serve with Booja Booja vanilla ice cream, or make up some dairy free custard using Birds powder and whatever milk substitute you use. Almond's my favourite. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye