Saturday 7 November 2015

Spiced pumpkin cake: dairy free, egg free, vegan





This cake is deceptively normal - I don't feel like I need to preface it as dairy free, egg free and vegan, with the semi-apologetic caveat of 'that's why it's a bit dense'. You just can't tell - well M certainly couldn't. It's beautifully spiced with wonderful autumn flavours, in the shape of a homemade Pumpkin pie spice blend, courtesy of Happiness is homemade. I used sweet mixed spice instead of allspice as I didn't have any, and it's absolutely lovely. Of course you don't have to make your own spice and I've given an alternative in the recipe below.

Similarly I made my own pumpkin puree - what can I say, the pumpkins were being sold off a lot cheaper than a tin of puree and Harry had a good nap. It was deceptively simple, I just stabbed the pumpkin with a knife, 5 or 6 times so that any steam could escape. Then roasted it in the oven (whole) for about an hour at 160 degrees C. After that I let it cool, cut it in half, disposed of the seeds and scooped out the flesh which I pureed with a stick blender. Voila. But equally, you can buy a tin.



Spiced pumpkin cake
Dairy free, egg free, vegan
Serves 12

250ml pumpkin puree
125ml apple puree/ or 2 small ripe bananas
125ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g soft brown sugar
250g plain flour
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp Pumpkin spice, bought or homemade - or use 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves and a good grating of nutmeg

Grease and line the bottom and sides of an 8inch loose bottomed cake tin
Preheat your oven to 160 degrees C
Beat the pumpkin puree, apple puree/ mashed bananas, vegetable oil, vanilla and sugar together until well combined
Fold in the flour, bicarb, baking powder and spices until just combined
Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for an hour (keep an eye on it though)
Allow to cool in the tin

Serve with a cup of rooibos tea and your feet up - ideally under a crochet blanket as you work the borders. Just me then?






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye