Wednesday 19 May 2010

I'm right up the road - even if it's rocky


I'm right up the road
I'll share your load
If you just call me

Well, the Guides are learning Lean on Me for the forthcoming fundraiser we're running so the lyrics are currently running around my head naturally. One of the perils of being a Guider is that I spend a large proportion of my waking life listening to people chat about random things and simultaneously thinking "Could the girls do something related to/ like/ adapted from this?" Rocky Road came about in one of these ways. Before or after acupuncture each week I bribe or treat myself to a Starbucks coffee and a piece of rocky road. It's half an hour of peace and pleasure after the prior hour of pain (well more discomfort but that doesn't alliterate half so well). I was wondering if this would be something the Guides could make for the cafe, as it seemed to be fairly simple (although did I ever tell you about the disaster with the truffles? No? Let's just not mention it again).

As it was a sweet dish I went straight back to my beloved Nigella, and found a recipe in Nigella Express. For once I made it exactly as stated - I know, I was shocked too!

INGREDIENTS

125g soft butter
300g best-quality dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
3 x 15ml tablespoons golden syrup
200g Rich Tea biscuits
100g mini marshmallows
2 teaspoons icing sugar for dusting

METHOD


1. Melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a heavy-based saucepan. Scoop out about 125ml of this melted mixture and put to one side.
2. Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and then bash them with a rolling pin. You are aiming for both crumbs and pieces of biscuits.
3. Fold the biscuit pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture in the saucepan, and then add the marshmallows.
4. Tip into a foil tray (24cm square); flatten as best you can with a spatula. Pour the reserved 125ml of melted chocolate mixture over the marshmallow mixture and smooth the top.
5. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or overnight.
6. Cut into 24 fingers and dust with icing sugar by pushing it gently through a tea strainer or small sieve.

I'm going to take them into work tomorrow as a thank you for those who've had to cover my work while I've been off sick. Let's face it, given that much chocolate who could be cross? Fingers crossed that no-one is the answer to that!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye