Wednesday 18 May 2011

A pizza hut... a (homemade) pizza hut


*doing actions* I'm going to get so much spam from that title aren't I? Still, what can you do. Sometimes you just have to use certain lyrics, and it's a camp song after all.

Apologies for the dodgy lighting on that picture, and for the decidedly freeform pizza, clearly I decided to forgo traditional shapes and be unshackled by convention. Or something.

This week has been quiet, another trip to hospital to contend with, because of another blinding migraine. Thank goodness for scheduled posts I suppose. Providing my head and vision stay put for the next week or so, I'm going to be doing some work to the blog, changing tags and whatnot so it's a bit more organised. Or that's the plan anyway.

Anyway, tonight I was home alone as M had gone to visit his parents and I wanted to make pizza. There is some sad news to pass on. Mabel has, well, passed on. Which is sad. I have no idea what happened, I fed her with gluten free flour last week and she kind of exploded, so we had to split her between two containers, and now she is not leavening at all. This has meant the emergency purchase of some yeast, and begging tweets to Doughblogs and my friend Matt for a new leaven.

Anyway, pizza. It isn't something I cook or eat with any regularity - it's a bit 'bready' for me, and with the weight watching and all that's going on at the mo, is probably something I should be avoiding. All of that said, another 3 days of vomitting and nausea this week mean I'm not overly fussed if I can eat at all and keep food down. And, as I'm a bit of a fragile little flower at the mo I thought home made would be best.

Pizza base

500g strong bread/ 00 flour
1.5tsp dried yeast (small palmful of fresh)
1.5 tsp sugar
2 tblsp Olive Oil (I used extra virgin as I'm sure I can taste it)
1 tablespoon sea salt, crushed up in pestle and mortar
325 ml warm water
Fresh Rosemary, and dried oregano

Put your yeast, sugar, water and olive oil in a jug and stir. Leave for 5 minutes to activate
Put the flour and salt in a pile on a clean worktop, make a hole in the middle.
Snip your rosemary (I used about 3 stalks) over the flour and add a palmful of dried oregano
Pour in the yeasty liquid slowly (I do it in about 3 batches) mixing in the flour from the outside to the middle so it doesn't leak all over the side.
This is a recipe that requires a pinny by the way
When you've added all the liquid, pick up any remaining flour by kneading your dough over it until your side is relatively free from loose flour.
Knead for a good 10 minutes. I count this as exercise.
Put somewhere warm to prove for an hour
Knock back, split into 4 portions and roll/ press out into a pizza shape. My pizza shape is dodecahedron. Ish.
Leave for a good 20 minutes to rest, while you're doing this preheat your oven (and pizza stone if you have one) to really hot
Put dough on pizza stone
Put sauce and toppings on
Cook for 20 minutes or so
Eat in front of Come Dine with Me with fingers.
Avoid spilling on new sofa and cushions
I only managed half of one of these portions, but someone with a bit more appetite (and who hadn't eaten quite a few chocolate fingers whilst doing the housework) could probably manage more.

Easy peasy pizza.
Part 2 of this post, is for my friend Sarah and on pizza sauce. Hopefully, should be up in the next few days... (famous last words of course)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye