Friday 27 November 2015

Carrot and cinnamon Christmas tree cookies: dairy free, egg free, soya free, sugar free weaning recipe




This recipe is based on my Sweet potato biscuit stars, but carrot based and with different spicing for the festive season.

Since making the Sweet potato biscuit stars I've repeated the bake many times, most recently with a savoury twist - carrot and ground coriander, and parsnip and garam masala which were both huge hits. However a few things happened today - I had the last of our veg patch carrots to use up, Harry had a friend to play this afternoon and I'm all about Christmas as there's only a month to go. So even my husband can't be Scroogey about me mentioning it ;-) I decided to use the same spicing as I've used in the Christmas cake which is in the oven as I type.

Part of me wanted to make something Christmassy as lots of our baby groups are gearing up for the festivities and I'd like to make sure that I have an easy, allergy friendly something I can make of a morning and bring with us so that there's something safe for Harry to eat with his friends.

Harry and his friend helped to knead the dough, and they made round biscuits whilst I managed the Christmas tree shapes as the cutters are quite sharp. As this dough is just flour, dairy free spread, carrots and spices I wasn't at all worried at the toddler take on kneading which heavily involves the mouth.


 Carrot and cinnamon Christmas tree cookies
Dairy free, egg free, soya free, sugar free
Weaning recipe

print recipe

Carrot and Cinnamon Christmas cookies
Dairy free
Ingredients
  • 200g Carrots, boiled/ steamed until soft
  • 360g Plain flour
  • 60g Dairy free spread
  • 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
  • 1 tsp Ground nutmeg
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 160ÂșC 2. Line a cookie sheet with greaseproof paper 3. In the bowl of your food processor blitz the cooked carrots, flour, dairy free spread and spices until the ingredients come together in a smooth ball of dough that leaves the bowl clean(ish) 4. Alternatively you can mash the carrots and beat the rest of the ingredients in by hand 5. Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick and cut out the Christmas tree shapes 6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes (or until very lightly browned)
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Makes 40 small cookies



I haven't yet tried these with cornflour to make them gluten free, but as I'm anticipating this batch will disappear fairly promptly, I'll have another go next week.


Link up your recipe of the week

4 comments:

Helen - family-friends-food said...

Those look fab and such a simple recipe - nice and easy to whip a batch up. Perfect!

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche said...

These look fab, I can't believe they have so few ingredients! They sound really tasty.

Foodie Quine said...

So cute! And I bet they taste amazing. Hope Harry and all his friends have a fab Christmas.

Laurie said...

Thank you so much for sharing the receipt. I will try to make this one. And hoping their taste will be good for my guy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye